THE PADI IDC INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT COURSE
The PADI IDC Instructor Development Course curriculum consists of two parts the PADI Assistant Instructor (AI) course and the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program. Combining the two, including the IDC Prep course (included at no extra cost in all of Camille's IDC programs), the four day Assistant Instructor Course and the four day OWSI program into a continuous program makes up for our 10 day IDC program, including the EFR Instructor course. Your Platinum PADI Course Director Camille teaches the new IDC curriculum!
During the Covid19 pandemic, we have a special IDC option. Until 31st December 2020, start your PADI IDC online. Complete classroom presentations with me and all exams. In the comfort of your own home. Contact me for more information. One in every 5 persons that join us this way and continues with the live IDC in Malapascua, receives a free IDC. The IDC course fee will be refunded to one out of 5 persons.
Check out our 2020 SPECIAL OFFER at Thresher Cove Resort on Malapascua in the Philippines. After successfully completing your PADI IDC and PADI IE, we offer you an internship.
- Assist our instructors during the courses they teach and gain real life experience.
- Up to 2 months free shared accommodation at our air conditioned dorm room.
- Free breakfast in our restaurant during the IDC, PADI IE, MSDT Prep and internship for up to 2 months.
The NEXT PADI IDC will be held on MALAPASCUA in the PHILIPPINES. It all starts 21st November. In conjunction with PADI 5* IDDR Resort 'Thresher Cove Resort'. All of 2020 remaining IDC schedule is pending on travel restrictions in Thailand and the Philippines.
On 20th October I will be back in Khao Lak, Thailand. This is in conjunction with PADI 5* IDC Resort 'Sea Dragon'. The PADI IDC schedule for 2021 is in the making.
Check my PADI IDC schedule for 2020 here
LATEST INSTRUCTOR EXAMINATION NEWS
PADI IE on Koh Samui, Thailand, July 2020
During the recent PADI Instructor Examination (IE) on Koh Samui in Thailand, held on 2nd and 3rd July 2020, Camille's candidate from the June 2020 IDC on Koh Samui, in conjunction with PADI 5* IDC Center 'Sea Dragon' in Khao Lak,completed the PADI IE very successfully. Once more it was an international affair with our candidates coming from China and France and staff from Germany, the UK and the Netherlands
Congratulations and good luck to all of you in your PADI Instructor careers.
PADI Examiner was Guy Corsellis
From left to right standing: Thomasz (PADI Examiner), Jia (PADI OWSI), Camille (Platinum PADI Course Director) Chloe (PADI OWSI) and Chris (PADI OWSI)
Fiona, who staffed and Andy who completed his IDC Staff course are not in the picture
Ever thought of leaving your office behind? Maybe it's time to dive over the edge and dive in all the way.
Successfully completing the AI course earns you the Assistant Instructor rating and allows you to work as Instructional assistant and independently conduct certain PADI programs. AI course completion also qualifies you to participate in the OWSI program.
During the AI and OWSI program it is important to understand that the staff will concentrate on your skill and knowledge development, not testing. The resort setting that we work in provides a low-stress environment that allows you to relax, which makes the learning easier. During the program our team of highly experienced staff will be on hand to offer you all the support you need.
Successfully completing the OWSI program (or an entire IDC) makes you eligible to participate in the PADI Instructor Examination (IE).
The IE is an evaluative program that tests your teaching ability, dive knowledge, skill level and understanding of the PADI system, attitude and professionalism. Instructor Candidates become Open Water Scuba Instructors only after successfully completing an IE.
PADI ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR COURSE
The Assistant Instructor course is a further step forward to becoming an experienced diving educator. It will make your transition from diving leadership to diving professional smoother and stress free.
The course is performance based and an IE Candidate will be required to pass practical tests and written theory and PADI standards Exams.
The course will familiarize you with PADI Standards & Procedures to all aspects of teaching, effective academic presentations, assisting in the conduct and organization of PADI courses from PADI Discover Scuba Diving up to specialties and leadership courses such as PADI Divemaster and AI.
PADI OPEN WATER SCUBA INSTRUCTOR (OWSI)
The OWSI is a five day program that introduces you to the entire PADI System and focuses further on developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
Assistant Instructors or those who have completed the AI portion of the IDC as well as Instructors from other diver training organizations who want to become PADI Instructors (crossover) must complete this portion of the IDC program. Successfully completing this program qualifies you to attend a PADI Instructor Examination (IE).
WHAT IS IN THE OWSI COURSE
During the course you will give at least two confined water teaching presentations, two knowledge development presentations and two Open Water teaching presentations. You will also participate in continuing education workshops like the Advanced Open Water Diver and Rescue Diver courses.
During the complete IDC Instructor Development Course Camille will include a few more workshops, covering various aspects of being a scuba instructor, preparing you for life as a PADI Instructor after the IE!
You will need to meet specific performance requirements in order to pass the IDC. Like the AI Course this is a performance based developmental process. You will have several opportunities to meet the performance requirements. On successful completion of the OWSI Course, you will be awarded an IDC completion form which is your passport to the Instructor Examination.
PADI IDC INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT COURSE PREREQUISITES
• Dive Leader certification - PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization* who is either: a) an instructor member in good standing, or b) a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation
• Be at least 18 years old
• 60 logged dives (with experience in night, deep and navigation), at the start of the PADI IDC.
• 100 logged dives (with experience in night, deep and navigation), at the start of the PADI IE.
• Be a certified diver for at least 6 months
• EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months
• If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment
• Submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level, as necessary
• PADI Assistant Instructor or current instructor member in good standing with a recognized recreational training organization for at least six months
• For all you professional courses, you need a medical statement. However, if in general you are in good health and you're reasonably fit, there should be no problem taking up diving. The medical statement needs to confirm/state that you are fit to dive. It also needs to be dated within the past year and signed by a physician. This needs to cover the date of the PADI IE. Without a valid medical on day one of the IDC, you can not join any in-water activities. At least not until you produce a valid medical.
You can use a copy of your medical used during the DM course. However, only if no changes in your medical status occurred.