PADI ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR
Are you a PADI Divemaster?
You’re getting close. Now it’s time to start your Instructor Development Course (IDC). This program consists of two sections, the Assistant Instructor (AI) course and the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program. This structure lets you divide the course into two blocks for schedule convenience if you need to. However, you may prefer to complete the two portions together, going through the entire program in as few as seven days.
The first part of the IDC is the AI program.
The PADI Assistant Instructor course
As a PADI Assistant Instructor, you not only gain additional experience as a PADI Professional scuba diver, but you also start learning the PADI System of diver education. You can act as an instructional scuba assistant and assume limited teaching responsibilities. It’s a great way to gain experience in order to become a scuba instructor!
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course can be conducted by all Five Star Dive Shops and Resorts and Five Star Instructor Development Centers and Resorts.
IDC Thailand conducts IDC’s together with The Dive Academy on Koh Samui, Haad Yao divers on Koh Phangan, Blue Planet Divers on Koh Lanta and Similan Dive Safari’s in Kao Lak.
The PADI Assistant Instructor course is the first portion of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) and when followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor course (OWSI) and successful performance at the PADI Instructor Examination (IE), leads to certification as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
The Fun Part
What You Learn
You build upon your abilities to organize and supervise scuba diving activities, while concentrating on developing teaching skills. You learn through:
• Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
• Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
• Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course consists of these sections:
• Module 1: Academic Training
• PADI Discover Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Programs
• Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
• Teaching Project AWARE and Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialties
• Teaching in Confined Water
• Conducting Open Water Training Presentations
• Module 2: Independent Study
• Knowledge Development
• Module 3: Practical Application
• Confined Water and Open Water Teaching Presentations
• Standards Exam
• Dive Rescue Skills Assessment
What You Can Teach
• Present the knowledge development elaboration for
any PADI Diver course under the instructor’s indirect
supervision. The instructor personally assesses student
• Present initial skills training under the instructor’s direct
supervision during confined water dives.
• Conduct open water surface skill evaluations during Open Water
Diver course dives under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
• Teach and certify Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty divers under the direction of an instructor.
• Independently teach the Project AWARE (nondiving) Specialty course.
• Independently teach the AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation (nondiving) Specialty course.
• Independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or confined water.
• Independently conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions.
• Teach and certify divers in a specialty courses that don’t include dives after successful completion of Specialty Instructor Training courses for such specialties.
• After completing the corresponding instructor training, conduct:
a. Digital Underwater Photographer specialty courses under the direction of a PADI Instructor.
The Scuba Gear You Use
You use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc.
It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills. You can find most everything at your local dive shop
The Learning Materials You Need
The PADI IDC crewpak includes all the materials needed to prepare for a PADI Assistant Instructor or Open Water Scuba Instructor course. The 23-item pack includes:
• Confined & Open Water Cue Cards
• Confined & Open Water Lesson Presentation Slate
• Adventures in Diving Instructor Cue Cards
• Rescue Diver Instructor Cue Cards
• Openwater Diver Quizzes and Exams Booklet
• Rescue Diver final Exams Booklet
• Divemaster final Exams Booklet
• PADI Professional training log
• Law and Diving professional book
• CD containing Best of USJ-, Children & Diving-, Business of Diving (3 PDF manuals)
• PADI’s Guide to Teaching manual w/Hologram
• Positive Approach Selling DVD
• Specialty Course Instructor Manual (Digital, multilingual version, E, DU, F, S)
Additional Material Requirements include:
• RDP Table
• DSD Instructor cue card
• Divemaster Cue Cards
• Go Dive Manual
• Adventures in Diving Manual
• Rescue Diver Manual
• Divemaster Manual
• Encyclopedia of Diving
• Diving Knowledge Workbook
• Knowledge Development outlines for the Open Water-, Rescue- and Divemaster courses, available as PDF files for downloading at the PADI Pro/Member site.
• Be a PADI Divemaster or qualifying certification from another certification organization
• Be at least 18 years old
• Have 60 logged dives, including night, deep, and navigation dives
• Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
• Have CPR and First Aid Training within the last 24 months
• Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
• Want a fun and exciting career!
Your Next Adventure